Reduce Printing Costs (Guaranteed) & Protect Patient PHI
Avoid fines and loss of valuable client trust by avoiding simple HIPAA violations. Protect yourself, your organization, and your patients with this helpful guide to HIPAA printing compliance.
HIPAA Compliance for Wisconsin Healthcare Businesses
HIPAA requires healthcare organizations to tightly secure patient and client health information. Healthcare organizations and businesses can be direct healthcare providers:
- Dental offices
- Doctors’ offices and clinics
- Nursing homes
- Hospitals and urgent care centers
- Medical offices of all kinds
HIPAA compliance also applies organizations who many not directly provide healthcare. Businesses like insurance companies, health plan processors and healthcare clearinghouses must also comply with HIPAA guidelines.
Central Office Systems provides comprehensive and cost-effective healthcare printing solutions to help Wisconsin companies meet HIPAA compliance. Healthcare information contains some of the most private information gatherable in one location, including social security numbers, healthcare history, birth dates and contact information. With the ever-growing risk of identify theft and the costly fallout from system breaches, all types of healthcare organizations must secure their digital patient information at all workstations including printers, copiers, fax machines and multifunction office equipment.
How HIPAA Compliance Relates to Printer Security
Printers, copiers and fax machines are all potential HIPAA violations if your organization neglects to incorporate them into their information security protocols.
Consider the following when making your printers, copiers and fax machines HIPAA compliant:
- Identify and measure your risk. Identifying all of the printers, copiers and fax machines your organization uses and make all staff aware of HIPAA compliance rules as well as the potential economic risks of a violation.
- Secure printers and fax machines with user authentication. Enable user authentication for all printers, copiers and fax machines. Not only does knowing who is using your machines allow you to keep operating costs down, but it also prevents your organization from allowing unauthorized users access to information stored on the machines. We supply user-friendly multifunction printers with advanced security options including secure biometric printing.
- Secure placement of printers and other office equipment. Ensure information received from your printer, copier or fax machine is only visible to those authorized to see it. Avoid prying eyes by placing your devices in locations where they are not easily accessible by others. A simple yet effective example is placing a multifunction printer with copier and fax behind a counter instead of in a hallway.
- Monitor device use. Don’t leave your healthcare printer unattended while in use. Train staff to exercise awareness when electronically moving patient records and other sensitive information. Appoint specific team members to accept incoming faxes, and never leave printed, copied or faxed patient health information in the equipment.
- Responsibly dispose of all office equipment and parts. Many people forget or don’t realize their printers, copiers, and faxes use hard drives to store jobs. This means that a highly used MFP in a hospital office or insurance claims department is potentially holding millions of records.It’s crucial to properly dispose of printer, copiers or fax machine hard drives. Whether you manage your own or use a managed print service, make sure any hard drives on the devices are completely wiped clean before disposal or recycling. Ignorance of these requirements won’t protect you from a million dollar fine.
HIPAA Wireless Printing
With the growing prevalence of digital medical records and mobile medical technology, wireless printing solutions compliant with HIPAA regulations are incredibly important. Central Office Systems offers a wide variety of healthcare MFPs with wireless capability. We also provide installation, network setup and staff training for all equipment we sell in Wisconsin.
HIPAA Compliant Printers, Copiers & Fax Machines in Wisconsin
Central Office Systems has main in Waukesha and Appleton. We support healthcare businesses and organizations throughout central and eastern Wisconsin including Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, West Bend, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Green Bay and the surrounding areas. Let us take the hassle out of healthcare printing and HIPAA compliance and while lowing your overall print and digital document management costs. Get a free office assessment or equipment quote today.